8.20.2011

Pencils, Crayons, Construction Paper...My First Grader

School has started for Brayden at Compass Academy. He bounded out of bed last Wednesday ready to attack the first day. Brayden has added making lunch to his morning agenda. The lunch is put together so well I haven't even had to add or take away from what he has put together for himself.

On the way to school he asked if I would just drop him off. WHAT!?? REALLY!!! This is what I was thinking in my head, but I simply stated, "I'm walking you into your classroom...that's what I do." Brayden said, "Don't take pictures!" I said with a grin, "oh yes, I am taking a picture..." I pulled up to the school, shut the doors, and I "let" him walk ahead of me. I just wanted to see if he could do it ALL BY HIMSELF...and he can. He can do so much without me.

When I reached the classroom door, Brayden had already put up his backpack and began to play with the play dough at his desk. The little girl next to him had a BIG smile on her face when Brayden said "hi!" I captured this photo knowing I was verging on major annoyance from my child...



After I took this picture I walked away from the classroom...for a second, but then I walked right back into the classroom. I asked Ms. Mathis to grab one picture of my son and I by his desk. I have become that "parent."

I missed the first day of his Kindergarten year, which is the downside of being a teacher. I don't want to miss anymore of his "firsts." What I have realized by having one child is that ALL firsts are the lasts. I love the picture that was captured of us...my eyes say it all.


He is my favorite 6 year old boy...I love you "B"...you are my son forever:-)

1 comment:

Leisa said...

karri ~ you're an amazing mother and your God-given strength doesn't go unnoticed by "B". He is a lucky little boy! Have a blast being "that parent"! They are the best!