11.07.2011

But I'd Love To Be Your Last...

I’ve been asked lately, “How are things going?” My response has been, “Just peachy!” YES, I am aware that I have a “glow.” God has richly blessed my life with Josh and his three children. The last months have consisted of Josh and I being active and supportive in each others lives and in the lives of our FOUR children. We have been in the thick of blending our families. This has been filled with joy, struggles, bliss, laughter and new memories. The work will never cease blending our two families.

One evening Josh and I both collapsed on the couch in complete exhaustion. I was taking in deep breaths and realizing with each exhale my body was tired and aching. It was quiet in the house for a brief moment. I looked up at the ceiling and began watching the ceiling fan blades circulate in the living room. I started to giggle when the silence was broken by his girls singing karaoke in one of their bedrooms. Then it dawned on me that Brayden was sitting on the bed or floor watching and listening to two girls singing their hearts out to Carrie Underwood, “Jesus Take The Wheel.” Brayden was playing the role of “#1 fan and audience member.” After I stopped giggling I thought, “It just doesn’t get any better than this.”

Monday nights were set aside for 7th grade Bowie football. Watching Josh’s son play football is Oh.My.Goodness thrilling. I was an instant fan! I was so excited about his son playing that I had a shirt made. I mean, when a 7th grader is playing almost EVERY play a shirt needs to be made! On the front it said, “Bowie Football.” On the back it said, “Beard #20.” I didn’t know that his number would change each week. Oh well, I’m a newbie to it all, but I wore that shirt each week. I brought my camera (which I know this surprises no one!!) and sometimes the camcorder just to capture a good hit and touchdown. After each Monday night game I would think, “It just doesn’t get any better than this.”

Dinner around the table. I know nothing else, because this was instilled in me from my parents. Josh and I come from very striking similar homes. It is important for a family to sit around the dinner table and eat together, but not only to eat and talk…to pray. Friends of my blog…it doesn’t get any better than to hear a child pray. There are four kids eating and trying not to talk over each other. I have had moments at the dinner table where I have busted a gut from laughing at what our kids say…”American German Shepherd”…this was just a funny moment when you would have had to have been there. There are times when I have had to remind myself don’t look shocked, just smile and nod. Then there have been a few times when it has been quiet and I look around the table and his youngest daughter just shoots me a big smile, or watching Brayden not able to sit still in his chair because he is so happy to be amongst Josh and his children.

I can write a hundred more stories on our kids…and I will soon.

November has arrived and I have been writing a daily thankful status update on Facebook. My day #7 is to Josh. God placed you on my heart by name over a year and a few months ago...I never knew why until now. All those Sunday’s sitting in front or behind you at church…never spoken to you…and now I sit next to you in church…it truly doesn’t get any better than this. I love you. You sent me one and ONLY one song the week after we went on our first date…and you are my last. My heart is overjoyed for His unconditional love for me. I truly am thankful that God has placed you in my life. Thank you for understanding the meaning of God’s grace. We are nothing without Him.

No comments: